Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Students

During my field observations I was able to observe the same teacher two different periods, each with a different class. However, the first period was a class of six students, sixth and seventh graders. The academic performance of these six students was average, they were very well behaved and payed close attention to the lesson, however outside of the classroom they were very different, which in turn meant that the teachers' management plan was effective. The students completed all their work and were constantly working, however the assignments that were given to the students were not very challenging. When I would see the students outside of the classroom they would act very differently, and even during class you could see that they wanted to act out or do something to gain attention but they would hold back because they knew the rules and that it wasn't acceptable. However, students were very respectful to the teacher and showed the respect every single day by following procedures, behaving, and completing their assignments. The most challenging moment was in the second period that I observed, it was hard to get the students to accept my help, they were just not used to having somebody there to ask them if they needed help individually. At first, students quickly said they didn't help when they actually did. However, the second day I went, students were all asking me questions and for my help. The most rewarding moment would be the turnout of the challenging moment, students continued to call on me for help and told me that they understood the way I was explaining concepts to them. It was great to see that I was helping them and that they saw me as somebody that they could go to for answers. There were several funny moments when students wanted to act out but they would stop and you could see in their face that they really wanted to but they would more than likely get in trouble. The entire experience with all the students in the teachers' classes was memorable, like I stated earlier, i realized that I truly am capable of changing a students' life.

No comments:

Post a Comment